Monday, January 29, 2007

So... I'm an idiot

Anyway, I found out that my new favorite place isn't Ription lake but Ripshin Lake ;) . I was right about one thing... it is one of the most beautiful places on Earth!! If you follow that link scroll down and you will probably agree with me . If not ....you are no longer welcome on my blog. Just Kidding...I think :)

If you are interested in seeing some of the photos that were taken of the fam. while at Ripshin check it out here.
Click enter then go into gallery , then events, and find Ripshin Christmas tree farm. :Warning: there are A LOT of photos.

Anyway, I may be an idiot but I have more hope for my son. Especially, with the reading that is required of him in only the First grade! He came home with a book of poems by Jack Prelutsky. (Whom I have come to love). But, this was tough reading for the boy AND he was going to be tested on this stuff. This is an example of the first poem.

I Told the Wizard to His Face

I told the wizard to his face,

"You're just a fraud, a phony,

A fake, a sham, a charlatan,

Your spells are pure baloney,

Your hogwash couldn't fool

An unsophisticated child-

What do you have to say to that?"

The wizard merely smiled.

"You see, you have no answer,"

I continued, feeling bold,

"You only use illusion

When you turn balloons to gold.

In fact, your poor pathetic act

Is practically a crime-

What do you have to say to that?"

He smiled a second time.

I escalated my harangue,

And blared triumphantly,

"Your prestidigitation

Simply can't bamboozle me!"

The wizard smile a wider smile,

"Piff poff" was all he said-

Since then I've been but two feet tall

And have a hamster's head

I've been told that after having this certain teacher( whom I love) we ( I mean he) could easily skip second grade. I might be beginning to believe it. Anyway if you have some time on your hands look up some of Jack's poems....I really enjoy them (never mind he's a child's poet). He's good.

7 comments:

Johnny T said...

SORRY!. I noticed you mispelled it the other day, but didn't comment

AmberJ said...

I think I will need to go back to school just to keep up with my first grader's vocabulary lesson! Cripes!

Kel said...

nice poetry, I've always liked his work. But I must say, Bergen could NEVER read that right now. Hahahaha, yikes! Forget second grade, I hope this doesn't make him hate reading! :)
Good pics btw, and I have to agree with you, that place is BEAUTIFUL!

Kel said...

Okay, so my favorites were number 208 on page 6 and 416 on I think page 10...the others are good, but those were my fav. too bad they didn't have a good one of your whole family :( Oh well.

lisa said...

I didn't make him read it, I read it to him :) Then I sent the book back to school with him the next day to pick a more age/grade appropriate book for HIM to read. He gets to pick the books he wants to read and test on (within his level). I couldn't believe that book was considered on his "level". But I have noticed the books he's bringing home are getting longer and harder. But come on!!!

lisa said...

Oh...Kel, What about 415. Just kidding, that's the one I look like I have gas. ;)

Tonya said...

that's a LOT of pictures! they are cute, but there's just way too many of them!!!