Well, there is no doubt that this has been a hard summer. It seems like things have been coming at us from all angles. For Luke his struggle has been loosing his most precious possession, his blue blanket. I can’t remember how or when his attachment with it started. I just know one day years ago it became a part of him. Every night before I go to bed I go into the kids rooms to cover them up and every night Luke had his blanket under his chin. And, when he is sick his blanket is the only thing that will remotely console him. Over the years I have taken his blanket to the tailor to get holes patched and the grandmas have done what they could do to repair the worn out corners and holes too. Tim and I have kept up with this thing for 6 or so years, never wanting him to lose it. I felt I had let Luke down when we came back from the beach and it was no where to be found. I called the hotel more than once and turned this house upside down. I have tried to tell Luke that his blanket was gone but never in those words. Every night for the past couple weeks he has cried and asked for us to look for it. Knowing there was no where else to look I would walk out of his room heart broken.
Well, today I picked Luke up from school and today was different as Libby is at my moms visiting with her cousins, and the neighbor kids went with their mom. So, today I just had Luke. We decided to go for a special treat, milkshakes. As we were sitting in the drive thru I leaned over and grabbed Luke’s backpack to check for homework and when I grabbed the zipper the small pocket in front opened. And, there fell his blanket. I grabbed it and held it up, Luke’s chin dropped. He has taken it to school with him everyday. On his back no less. No one thought to open up that pocket. It seems foolish really to have so much love for an object but when that object has been your source of comfort for all your life and then its gone what does foolishness matter? So, my hope is that this is just the beginning of the end of a really hard summer. And, we can find some rest in knowing that our boy will sleep much sweeter tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This is a good sign. Happy Summer, now! Love, Mom
That is so sweet. I often wonder how long my boy will hold to his...looks like he may have a few good years left!
I had a green blanket and once when we visited our cousins in IL it "accidently" got left there, I was so disappointed. I tried other blankets but it just didn't work. But it did break me of sucking my thumb, I imagine I would have developed buck teeth had it not been for that tragedy.
What a great story!! That is a great day!!...
Can't say I've never left a post now :)....Sorry it took so long.
Love You!!!
Les
Post a Comment