An older friend, kind of mentor, once came up to me and randomly said “you are a thing of beauty and a joy forever”. I have never heard that before, at least I have never heard those words in that succession before. It felt great to hear, I mean who wouldn’t want to hear that? It came at a time when I truly needed it too. I was in Africa and questioning my real significance and contribution to my team. The neat thing is my friend didn’t know my thoughts and I was trying hard not to be transparent and reveal my insecurities.
But since then those words have echoed in my ears, I have not forgotten them. I remember when she said those words to me I instantly questioned her in my mind, wondering what I had done to prompt such a wonderful compliment. Not wanting to seem ungrateful or give away that I was even questioning if what she said could be true , I just responded with a “thank you”. Unfortunately, very few things that have been said to me I remember verbatim . And if they do stick usually it is the most hurtful words that linger most. I’m not sure why. Is it easier to remember the bad because the bad is easier to believe or is it the pain that serves as the glue so that it sticks etched in your mind? I’m not sure. But truly if my words are going to be remembered I want them to because they were affirming, uplifting, and they came when they were needed. As a wife, and a mother, and even a friend, I am drowning in this opportunity. I think my friend's words speak more of her than of me. I pray that God will give me the words and the discernment to use them just as He has with my friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
From John Keats' epic poem, Endymion, 1818:
A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.
Lisa, you are truly a person of beauty in the purest sense of the word. you are marked by selflessness and purity of spirit- I consider it an honor that you call me "friend".
I love Keats... yeah, and Lisa's alright too ;)
Lisa, just the fact that you can even step outside and look within yourself to find what your friend was talking about, is a beautiful thing. Most people don't even care enough about what's within themselves to be so selfless and pure of spirit (tonya stole my words...) You're great!
Thanks guys you're sweet, but really I wasn't fishing for compliments, I just wanted to share how "her" words are such a gift and I hope to give the same.
well if you want to give I'm open to recieve, so lay it on me sister
Hahahahaha, here. here.
REALLY nice profile pic by the way john...where'd ya take that?
I'm pretty sure Rob took that. It was in utah, outside Salt Lake City. We were waiting for the weather to settle so we could go skydiving.
I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»
Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»
Post a Comment