Monday, December 12, 2005

jacaranda...

I would like to introduce you to my new favorite tree, (sorry if you have already been acquainted) the Jacaranda. We first met in South Africa, but I have come to find out they are all over the warmer parts of the world. You can even find them in California and perhaps other places out west. They are simply stunning when in full bloom. In early spring they come to life in the purest of purples. Their fragrance, however will have to grow on me. I would gladly let it do so beside my front door but the winters here are to harsh for them…shame!















They can get pretty big. It is illegal to plant these trees
in S. Africa due to their thirsty nature. They suck up all the water to the detriment of the plant life around it. Water is such a precious commodity they don't even let the trees indulge.

7 comments:

Steve said...

The "One" campaign has a banner you can put on your blog (diagonally across the upper right corner). You should get some tech-savvy man off a motorcycle to get it on your blog.

Anonymous said...

that's pretty funny about not letting the trees drink. and i thought droughts in NC were bad (haha)

lisa said...

uh....Steve, the picture of the African mom and child on my blog is for ONE. :) It is a link to one.org .

Anonymous said...

uh...Lisa there isn't any picture of an african women or child...

Anonymous said...

I love trees, my favorite...the Ponderosa Pine, it smells like butterscotch. Speaking of trees, I am not looking forward to seeing the vacant lot where the beech trees once stood. I know that comment is a little late, but I just discovered all these blogs you guys were keeping. My purpose now is to get mentioned on all of them. f1story is already on the ball...although I did have to prod a little. Honestly, I am a little surprised that all you guys don't mention me more often....I am John Teilhet.

murph411 said...

I love butterscotch. I even love to play with the wrappers while eating butterscotch thingies.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lisa, I remember seeing these trees in Tampa. There are a bunch in the south Tampa area. I used to study with a friend in college that had some on the street that she lived on. I love them too. --- Love Ya, Lori