Thursday, December 01, 2005

For the love of money-

O.K. I admit it. I am disappointed. I didn't want to say anything because I don't want to embarrass my husband. But I just have to say I am sad about Johnson City's loss of the beautiful beech trees.
For those of you who will be returning to town for the holidays be prepared that the corner of W. Market and State of Franklin will never look the same again. I am no more sad than I would be if they tore down a beautiful historical building for condos. I can't say I understand the radicals that held a funeral with a 21 chain saw salute with Taps. I wonder if those same people are just as sad for the unnecessary loss of human life that happens daily around us (that's another post). Anyway, the trees were big, and well over a hundred years old, beautiful all on their own. Over the years people have been trying to develop that corner and the city commission has protected them. The vote was 3/2 in favor of keeping that corner zoned residential (yes...residential! - didn't TVA used to be there???). It was known that if the land stayed residential the developer was going to build condos and the trees where coming down. The developer wanted to keep the trees and build shops. When he didn't get the rezoning to build for business within 48 hours those beech trees were gone. I am wondering myself if the commission was getting strong armed by the developer to rezone for business, if they wouldn't rezone he would cut the trees. Knowing the reputation of a few of our city commissioners they would save their pride before they would save those trees. Well, that might be too harsh of a statement.

I truly wish they made that corner into a park( spoken like a true park and rec. major). After all it has been said that the pioneer Robert Young is buried there. He has been credited for turning the tide for the Revolutionary War by firing the shot that killed Col. Patrick Ferguson in the Battle of King's Mountain. At one time that corner was his family's farm land.

You won't find me wearing black like some have been but I am sorry that these trees that have survived so many years came down so quickly and with such haste.

5 comments:

murph411 said...

I thought they were going to but a drug store there and had site plan/footprint that would keep the trees. I agree... sad.

Anonymous said...

you can try again now

Anonymous said...

That's too bad about the trees. i couldn't remember what intersection that was so i had to look at google maps to make sure i knew where you were talking about. sometimes, i embarass myself! I guess if you count the number of different places i've lived in my short life, it's amazing that i can even remember the name of the city...in fact i often do forget where i live, and don't even ask me what my phone number is!!!
Do you know that i lived in JC longer than i have lived in one city in my entire life! and that was what..8 years? seems like I was there a lifetime and a lifetime ago!
and hey, i can totally relate to the feeling old thing. I think former teens do it more to me than my own kids do. I was surprised to hear that deanna is getting married, but i guess i shouldn't be!
*sigh*

Steve said...

OK--sometimes I don't miss JC so much...

Wendy said...

How sad!