Monday, November 28, 2005

More evidence of our age....

Riding piggyback on my last post, this post will prove Tim and I are truly old! Tim and I dropped Luke off for "sunday school" yesterday. It was a large group meeting for k-5. There were a bunch of boys and they were so cute all huddled together. They had a special teacher for this event, Deanna S. I have seen Deanna around church a lot and know that she is working with the elementary kids but this was the first time I've seen her interacting with my son. What is cool...I remember being Deanna's small group leader when she was in the 6th grade in the youth group. I spent time with her in hopes of influencing her in positive way. Now , I'm counting on her to do the same for my son. It just doesn't seem right... I remember like it was yesterday throwing pillows at her in my apartment (did I say positive)??? :)

Now Tim's turn...
Yesterday, after our church we went to Tim's mom's church. We were invited to come for a special presentation for the playground dedication. Eden United Methodist is a small country church were it would be hard to find finer people. They just built a new church and now were adding a new playground. It turns out, long before I met Tim he help teach the children's church at Eden. They began a fund for a new playground and would collect an offering from the kids and put their nickels and dimes in a paper cup. Eventually, they would have several paper cups. Back then they explained to the kids that they themselves wouldn't get to play on it, knowing it would take well over a decade to have enough money. The kids still gave willingly. Tim being one of the first adults to help with this venture was presented a paper cup in front of the church by 3 young men that now tower over him, thanking him for his involvement in their lives. It is true that these boys are far to large to play on that playground but their kids will and our kids will too. And so it goes and goes. I never thought we would get to harvest what was sown so soon. Though it is small, it is sweet and I pray that the harvest will last long.

5 comments:

f1rststory said...

yeah - it was pretty neat - i told them i was glad i was nice and not mean...b/c now they are all linebackers and at least 2x my size... ;)

Steve said...

Wow, you guys are old.
I'm just in seminary with John Edwards; He'll graduate first.
If it makes me a little older (but not as old as you guys), I've done weddings now for Beth, Sanders and Josh, all from 6th grade.

Wendy said...

I must be emotional today. This brought tears. I guess sowing those seeds must work!

Steve said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steve said...

Sorry--try this.