About Africa...
I have never been in a third world country. South Africa was my first, Botswana my second. And I can't wait for the third (sorry mom). I understand now why people want to do third world missions. I was fortunate enough to be apart of an amazing team that went to Africa to support Flying Mission. A mission organization that is based out of Gabarone, Botswana. Jeff and Michele Royce work for F.M. and are missionaries from my church. My team went to build up and encourage the long term missionaries and their families that are with F.M. The first part of our trip was in South Africa, just outside of Johannesburg. We were primarily responsible for putting on youth events during the F.M. conference. My job was to hang with the high-schoolers. I tried my hardest to be a blessing to them but in the end I was the one truly blessed. Most of these kids have spent their entire lives in a culture that is not theirs by nationality but it is home for them. When I asked them what their nationality was they didn't know. They find their identity in knowing that their lives count for something (unfortunately that isn't the case for a lot of teenagers). They make sacrifices because they see the despair that surrounds them and know the hope that is in them is contagious. Especially, in a culture that knows such sorrow. Everyone there has been effected by AIDS. Everyone there has lost someone to this killer. Which I saw the saddening effects of later.
After the F.M. conference we left and drove to Botswana (a five hour road trip that turned into seven because of all the stops we had to make so that I could leave my personal mark on Africa). Several of us got this stomach bug while we were in South Africa. Unfortunately, my turn was the day we were traveling. I had to go through customs while running to the bathroom in between immigration officers. It wasn't an experience I would ask for but it really gave me a neat perspective. During the worst of it, when I felt the closest to death( those that get these stomach bugs know what I mean) Michele began to sing "Blessed be the name of the Lord". The song is about praising the Lord during the good and the bad. I realize that my suffering was momentary but for so many peolple it's not momentary. By this point I saw enough poverty, enough oppression, to hurt . The next day we would be going to a daycare orphanage and spending time with children who have lost their parent to AIDS. These are the people that need to know how to praise God not for a really bad moment but for a really bad reality. We gave the kids bags that we made and decorated saying "Jesus love you", in Setswana of course. The bags had things they would need like a washcloth, toothbrush, and soap. And, fun things like candy, bouncy balls, and crayons. They were thrilled. We also brought them shoes and tons of clothes including underwear ( we left that with Michele to give them later, we didn't want to overwhelm them). We played games, painted their faces and sang songs with them. A few only wanted for me to take their picture so that they could see it on the display. They are precious and each of them will hold a special place in my heart. I pray for their future and all that awaits them. Some of them won't see their tenth birthday as they were born with HIV. It 's a legacy passed on in Botswana. It is the leading country for HIV/AIDS cases in the world. The average life expectancy is 35 years old. Their culture is filled with witchcraft and evil traditions that teaches against abstinence and faithfulness even at the very least condom use. They are a people that are killing themselves with deception. I like to think that us being there helped in a very small way, for my own sake I have to think that. As I left my mark on Africa, so Africa left a mark on my heart.
It is a beautiful land with the most amazing foliage and wildlife. Not only did I get to pet a tiger but a lion too. And, I fell in love with a giraffe, they are the coolest of all creatures!
Yeah...that's me in the picture with the giraffe :o
Thanks for reading :)
7 comments:
Awesome... I'm so glad you did this (sorry Lisa's mom). We have a connection in our church with Rwanda and Uganda and hear about the AIDs struggle and the tribal war there from a man named Celestin (and others). Celestin is working on his PhD at DTS so he can continue training pastors in Rwanda and soon plant a seminary. He's a remarkable man, not unlike a full-grown version of the teens you met who are well-aware of the value of their faith to their culture. He came to Christ near that same age.
Unsolicited blogging tip: use paragraphs or spaces!
P. S. You gave Wendy a nudge! She's at http://shybot.blogspot.com.
wow, Lisa,
It sounds like a very good but heart-wrenching trip. I don't know if i could have done it. The sentence about witchcraft, encouraging sex and discouraging any protection is...wow. 35, how awful. Hey, I guess that makes you and I old women-haha!
Was that you looking up at the giraffe? Awesome! I'm glad you finally got your chance to go, it is indeed perspective-changing.
Tonya
What a blessing as well as a heart breaking experience. Megan said she wants to go to Africa and stand by a giraffe.
I knew about the cow ;-)
yo - mtv raps...hahaha
just thought i'd get your post to 7. ;)
ok - now it's 7
t
Post a Comment