Monday, April 03, 2006

not my finest hour...

After taking Luke to school (only because our car pool people are out of town) I spent the day trying to get the house in order after being completely irresponsible over the weekend. Libby just hung out in and around the house for most of the day. However, the open road was calling our names so we decided to go for a ride on our bikes. I thought it would be fun to bring Maggie (our black lab) with us, so I put her on the retractable leash. I figured it would take some concentration to ride a bike and walk her at the same time but doable. I underestimated however, the over all difficulty. At one point as Maggie was pulling me down a hill at a very high rate of speed and Libby was left way behind calling for me, my life did indeed flash before me. The bike I chose to ride only had one hand brake and no foot brake, and the one hand brake isn't that great. I didn't realize this at the time of choosing.
Anyway, with my pending death so apparent I just let Maggie's leash go. The road was coming to an end and I was at mach 1 with Libby even farther behind. Maggie ran off but came back before going too far. She knew I was furious with her. I’m sure it was my yelling that gave that away. I decided it would be best to walk her and the bike home with my head down. I didn't even want to look around to see if anyone was laughing at this crazy neighbor lady screaming at her dog.
I got the idea from seeing it done while we were in Florida. It didn't appear to be difficult, I saw a few people manage. Oh well.

3 comments:

newsoneal said...

Oh, I hate that out of control feeling. You know the one where you can see something happening in slow motion and there is nothing that can be done to stop it. I can just see the look on your face as you are plowing down the hill.....

newsoneal said...

Just thought of another point to make. It probably looked easier in Florida because it's FLAT in Florida. :) Love ya!

f1rststory said...

Hey this reminds me of when you went walking our great dane while you were pregnant... ;)