Friday, April 28, 2006

"He's got the whole world in His hands"

I have always enjoyed world geography but honestly I am terrible at anything that requires retention of any kind, other than water. Tim however knows his stuff. Really, he knows a lot of stuff. I kid him and say it is mostly useless stuff, like trivia. Unless you are playing a game of trivial pursuit, in such case it is useful if you’re on his team and plain painful if not. Anyway, in our best efforts to raise our kids with a world view that actually consists of the world and not just the United States we have started some homework of our own in world geography. We have always talked a lot about different places and different cultures with them, but this is far more intentional. We are learning not just the names and locations of other countries but about their specific cultures as well. When we finish “visiting” a county we attach that country's flag to our world map. As we were getting into the first few countries (the first was Peru, and the second, Uganda) I could see Luke beginning to bear a burden and his heart was heavy. His questions were simple but I had no answers. He wanted to help the children in these countries but I have no means, no methods. I was just thinking we would cover some geography. But, just as I was going to spit off some words of complacency it struck me that we know the creator of the earth, the king of kings and the Lord of Lords. We might not be able to get up and leave our kitchen (today) but we can speak to the one who owns it all. I am thankful that we can do something and for Luke his prayer was enough but for me my heart remains heavy. We decided to attach a picture of a child from each country along with the flag. I’m not so sure my heart will make it around the world. Maybe for my sake our next stop will be Canada.
















This is a picture of Brandon, our Compassion child we sponsor from Peru.

And, if you are interested in knowing what is going on in Northern Uganda check out Amber's site. We are headed to the Word's Fair Park tomorrow to help bring more attention to this on going crisis.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Need another prayer volunteer?

Tonya said...

how was knox?

Kel said...

I know of three little boys in Qatar that could some some sponsors. You interested??!! hahaha. I think that's really cool. Tonya has requested that I send post cards of everywhere we travel. Should I tack you guys on to the list?