Thursday, January 12, 2006

grace like rain...

Ben Ferguson dropped in last night. He’s in town and soon will be heading back to Vancouver. Every couple of years he stops by. It is amazing to see how God is maturing him and shaping him. I won’t be surprised to find him doing incredible things with his life. We (Tim, Ben and I) always have these deep talks that are so good for the soul. As a stay at home mom, I soak it up. Any conversation that gets me away from my daily grind and takes me to a place that makes me dwell on the things that matter most in this world and the next, is more satisfying than sleep or a great meal when you are most famished . We were up late talking about Christianity and how that looks different for so many people. It looks different over the generations and over the continents. All over the world and even in this country people living out their faith does not always look the same. It changes, today’s church doesn’t really resemble what church was when God came near. I wonder how much we, I especially , miss worshiping God in the only way I now how. I don’t say “miss” meaning what I don’t get but what do I miss giving Him. Church services today have become such a “product”. People , me included, talk about the church service as if it was a concert. “The music was good today”, or “ the message was not so great ”,something seems strangely wrong with that. I want my heart to be at a place where I walk in and walk out seeking to know, honor, and love Him more. Not examining if all my expectations were met. I am embarrassed to say, I do that.

It is amazing to know that I have a God that is big enough to take everyone’s faith (in Christ) in it’s different colors and shapes and sizes and it’s good enough for Him, and when it’s not His grace is there to fill it’s void. I’m sure I get it wrong, I’m sure I make it more about me more often than I should. How can we bring honor and glory to Him, the eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God . As I sit here I hear Todd Agnew sing “Hallelujah, grace like rain falls down on me”. I guess that's the answer.

5 comments:

f1rststory said...

Amen sista!

AmberShea said...

I love you Lisa. I am so lucky to have such an insightful, loving, and genuinely caring mentor in my life. I know that you don’t just care about me but you care about things of the Father and that is so important to me and Cindy. I am so glad that the bonds formed in Christ aren't likely to be broken. Thank you for loving me and loving God, and feeding me. : ) : P

Anonymous said...

Very well put, Lisa.

Tonya said...

it's been such a long time since i have 'gone deep' that i'm not sure i remember how...and i miss it, too. Friends like that-where you can pick up where you left off and immediately 'go there' are invaluable!
I'm lookiing forward to seeing you guys this weekend! assuming your # is the same-i will call you Sat. for directions and we'll see you around 5ish?
later chika

GeekInThePink said...

I love me some Todd Agnew, and now I love me some sekondstory blog!