Wednesday, February 22, 2006

For one of the least of these

Sometimes I come across these issues in life that cause me to contemplate what I think to be “right”. I heard someone say once that “they are still trying to figure how to be a Christian and live in America”. I completely understand that statement. I live in a country that is overwhelmingly blessed, I am among the top 1% of the world’s wealthiest ( in fact, I think most people I know are ). Although, I really don’t feel all that rich. I drive a 2000 Dodge Caravan with 123,000 miles on it, I don’t have the freedom to buy designer jeans, and I buy generic brand food whenever I get the chance, except for cheese ( I have to draw the line somewhere). I want the best for me and my family. My question is how does that fit in with “what ever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me” Matt:25:45. These words came straight out of Jesus’ mouth and clearly states the importance of caring for the less fortunate.

This is where I struggle. At Luke’s school you can request certain teachers for your child. You aren’t guaranteed your request but more often than not the administration makes it happen. So what happens is the teacher with the best reputation ends up getting most of the kids that come from good, solid, involved parents( the ones that care to make the request). The other teacher tends to get the kids from parents that are less involved and don’t even think to make a request. I can honestly say at Luke’s school, the teachers are all really good, so the teaching itself really isn’t the issue. It is the fact that most of the kids with behavior problems end up in the same class, and the teacher has to spend a lot of time on behavior issues. And the teacher with the better reputation ends up with the class that wins all the competitions and isn’t having to spend all her time reprimanding bad behavior.

I am still working this issue out, and I did struggle with making my request, but I did make a request for next year. I have some guilt when I see certain kids in Luke’s school and know they need all the advantages they can get. Knowing that God wants what’s best for all these children not just Luke I’m left to contemplate the system and the part I play in it. If making a request for my child means taking a spot for a child that truly needs to be in the class that is more successful and better behaved, should I? And if I back out I may just be giving a spot to someone else that has made the same request just later than me, as it is common for there to be more request for a certain teacher than what is available and the request are first come first serve.

In this country wealth breeds wealth and poverty, more poverty. It is not likely that whatever we decide will change that. But that doesn’t relieve my responsibility and who ultimately I am responsible to or for.

5 comments:

AmberShea said...

Lisa, you have such a good heart! i know that i have told you that i have been struggling with the issue of serving "the least of these." my heart desires to serve them but i feel like nothing i could give would be enough.

murph411 said...

The value of the struggle may be in the struggle not the answer. This was a very cool post friend; honest, open and real.

Kel said...

You know, this is exactly one of the reasons Ross and I chose to homeschool. We have a niece that is one of those "behavior" issues, and it's because her mom doesn't care to request the best teachers. It's a real problem and I understand why you are struggling. Is there a certain child you know of imparticular that would benefit being in Luke's place? If you're willing to give up Luke's spot in the best class for a less fortunate child, why don't you put the request in for this other child. Explain your situation to the administrator and request this child be in this class instead of Luke. Life is hard, thanks for your post, it has envoked thought.

lisa said...

Kelly, that is a good idea...unfortunetly It's not that easy, for that to work it would take more parents to give up there request, because there are more requests than spots.... but it does give me an idea, hmmmmm...... thanks!

Jen said...

Wealth does breed poverty, but the Bible actually says this will always be. It's disheartening. There will always be the rich, the poor, and the separation between the two. We can't begin to dream of an eternal equality until Heaven. We must help our fellow man, but the system is so infused with those who care for nothing but wealth, and those who care nothing for themselves (the poor without cause). I've met a millionaire who wouldn't give a nickel to a starving man, and I've also met a more-than-able-bodied man who refused to work because he knew he could get money from the government, and he'd rather just sit around. It's a complicated world and I praise God I'm not the one running it!!!

It's a shame the parents of these children don't speak up for the welfare of their kids, or take time out to teach them discipline. How could you help, though? The only thing I could think of is volunteering time to help the "other" teacher maintain control so things can center around learning and not disciplining. But that's in a perfect world, right?